Saturday, December 28, 2013

New Apps in the Classroom

Over the last couple weeks, I have implemented some new technology into my classroom.  Here are the  (free) apps and how it went:

1. Too Noisy - This is an app that measures how loud your students are.  There is a meter that moves with the noise and a happy face that begins to cry when the noise level gets too high.  The background also darkens and becomes stormy when the kids are too noisy.  I began using this app to combat talking and noise in the hallways.  I hold the iPad over my shoulder so the kids can see it as we walk to their specials.  If they are able to keep the happy face happy, I give them all a point on Class Dojo.  It has worked amazing well!  They are all so in tune to the app and watching the meter.  It has changed how we walk down the hallway:)

2. Math Fight - This is an app that allows students to compete against each other with their math facts.  It begins with a countdown and then gives them both the same math problem.  It gives three choices of answers on the bottom and they need to click on the correct one.  Whoever gets the right answer first gets the point for that round.  Each round gives 10 problems.  At the end of the 10 problems, the one with the most right answers wins.  I started using this app to help the kids increase their knowledge in math facts.  So far we have just been using the addition problems.  The kids absolutely love this app!  I have never had kids so excited to do their math facts.  They love choosing a partner and then trying to beat them.   I have the iPads out during my center time and they enjoy competing and trying to beat their previous scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment