Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Intention: From My Perspective


 

                The idea of Intention has been very present in my mind these last few weeks.  After reading the chapter on Intention from Houston and Sokolow’s Spiritual Dimensions of Leadership, it really struck a chord with me.  Just the very idea of intention is so powerful and at times even a little scary.  It affects all areas of your life and who you are.  I feel that after reading this I have become both a better teacher and person.

                The power of intention has affected all areas of my life right now.  I have become a more thoughtful and present teacher.  I am much more aware of what I am doing and why – it’s not just about doing something because the curriculum says so.  This has impacted the kids as well.  They see me more engaged and are then more engaged themselves.  We are having better discussions as well because I have intention behind what I am asking them.  This has spilled over into my role as a colleague as well.  I am much more engaged and involved in helping those around me.  This time of year we tend to fall into a funk so this idea has come at a great time.  I feel like I have more of a positive view and attitude toward work and my role here.

                Intention has also affected my personal life as a wife, a mom, and a friend.  I have consciously tried harder these last few weeks to carry positive thoughts.  There is so much happening in my life right now – others too I’m sure!-that it is sometimes very overwhelming.  Between household chores, grad school, kids’ activities, trying to sell our house (what are we thinking?!), and trying to find time to spend with my husband life can be VERY busy!  I have been using the power of intention to continue to tell myself that I can handle it and it will all get done.  I tell myself to keep a positive attitude and to ask for help when necessary.  I have also used it to be more present and engaged when playing with my kids.  Life is so short and before I know it they will be too old to hang out with Mom (sad, right?) and will be headed off to college.  I need to have that intention of spending real quality time with them without thinking about all the other things I should/could be doing. 

                Intention can be a scary concept but it also can also be a motivator.  It all depends on your perspective.  How will you use intention in your life?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen -
    You're my new blog! :) I just have to say how much I agree with your point regarding being aware of what you are doing and why rather than simply adhering to what the curriculum says. The question which comes up in our school and in my class is "why do we have to do this". Unfortunately, I was finding I couldn't always give a strong answer to that question. Now, I am looking at my own curriculum much more closely and trying to find more long lasting meaning in what I do.

    I also feel your pain with trying to balance your work world with your personal life. It has been more of a struggle this year than any other for me, and I tend to find myself being short with the people I love not because of anything they have done but more so because of my own stresses from my job. It is definitely an area I need to improve on this year!

    Have a great day and love your insights! :) Jodee

    ReplyDelete