Sunday, March 24, 2013

Creating Fluent Readers

While researching fluency and how it affects reading abilities, I came across an article written by Timothy Rasinski.  It is titled "Creating Fluent Readers".  This article discusses a growing body of evidence that reading fluency is an important factor in student reading success.  It defines reading fluency and proceeds to explain the three dimensions that build a bridge to comprehension.  The article brings up the best ways to assess fluency in young readers as well as the dangers of confusing fast with fluent.  This article is a great read for anyone looking to better understand fluency and its importance in our educational system.  I have attached the link the the article below.  Happy reading!
http://med.smumn.edu/sites/default/files/creating_fluent_readers.pdf

3 comments:

  1. This is a great resource for teachers but also to share with parents. At the end of first grade the benchmark is approximately 50 words per minute using DIbels. Although some of my students are way above this benchmark, I am encouraging them and their parents to check for comprehension. It means nothing when a student can read 100 words per minute if they cannot recall what they read. What assessment do you use for fluency and is there a comprehension piece? Unfortunately we do not use the comprehension portion on Dibels. I will be sharing this article with parents for spring conferences. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. B,
    I totally agree with you in that we need to be encouraging parents to check for comprehension. They may be convinced their child is an amazing reader because they read 100 words a minute but then they are unable to tell you anything about what they read! We actually use AIMS web testing for fluency and then we use NWEA for comprehension. I’m glad you have found such a good use for this article☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    Thanks for the great article! I hadn't found this one when searching for my ROL! I'm sure you've come across his website, but if you haven't, head on over to my website where I've posted a link with lots of resources and printables there!

    http://growingwithgeier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete