Monday, March 10, 2014

Trust

Trust is a critical component of life.  We need to be able to trust our family, our friends, and our co-workers.  And we also need to have a certain amount of trust in humanity and of our surroundings.  After reading the chapter on trust from Houston and Sokolow, I came away with many valuable ideas. 
One of the ideas that I found to be important was when the author wrote that when you give trust, you receive it.  I think this is a critical piece of understanding trust.  Unless you are willing to open yourself up to trusting others, you will never receive trust yourself.  I also liked when the author stated that bad things happen but do the good thing anyway.  This can be a hard concept as when bad things happen to you, it’s hard to trust enough to continue doing good things.  This has sometimes been a struggle for me personally.  When bad things happen, I find it hard to trust enough to continue doing good things. 
A key statement in the chapter is that you can’t do anything for someone else that you can’t do for yourself first.  I found this statement to be so true.  If you are unable to trust in yourself and do things for yourself, then you are unable to trust and do those things for anyone else.  My favorite statement from the author was that the world is made up of a lot of imperfect people trying to move forward.  I really liked this idea.  We all make mistakes but we are all just trying to survive, keep moving on with our lives and trust that everything will be alright.


No comments:

Post a Comment