Thursday, June 6, 2013

Attention to Intention




While reading The Principle of Attention, I was reminded of the book The Secret and reading about intention.  I know that keeping a positive attitude in life is so imporatnat.  Yet it is something that I struggle with on a daily basis.  I get so caught up in what I need to get done and all the pressures associated with work, school and family life that I get sucked into negativity. 

Reading this article really struck a cord with me.  The author writes “Where your attention is, there too is your soul.”  He is basically saying that where you place your attention shows what you truly value in life.  That if you want something to grow, you must pay attention to it.  I have realized that I need to start thinking differently about things.  I can turn things around for the positive by paying attention to what I truly value and having positive intentions. 

I was also intrigued by his statement that “Today’s world is an environment that does not allow linear, thoughtful leisurely processing and discourages riding down the river where you can put your hand in the water and drift.”  There is no time for drifting anymore – everything moves a million miles per hour.  This is so true.  Maybe part of the reason for my negativity is the fact that I am always rushing somewhere to do something.  There is no time just to relax and be.  Is this what I want to be teaching my children?  I said to my 8 year old daughter the other day that we were actually going to be on time.  Her words were “What does ‘on time’ mean?”  Being stuck in the white water rapids is not how I want my children to grow up.  So I need to change my focus and my attention. 

I want them to know that it’s OK, healthy even, to stop and think.  To focus their attention on what is important to them.  In order to do this, I need to turn my attention back onto myself.  As I embark on a summer filled with grad school work, I need to pay attention to my being.  To remember “Don’t just do something, stand there.”

2 comments:

  1. I can so relate to your thoughts, Jen. We all have so much going and we tend to "over plan" our days, weeks, and seasons! It's so important to remember to stop, think, and to be thankful. To "just be" doesn't seem to be something we prioritize for but that is something that definitely needs to make its way onto our agendas this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughtful insights above. I enjoyed reading them and had so many of the same connections. It is so easy to get caught up in the negativity. It's amazing how contagious it is! SInce beginning SMU, I have been much more aware of how my attitude can effect everyone around me. I try to step back and think about all the students who need my positive attitude and the stressed out staff who need someone smiling. My first day teaching I emailed my favorite teacher and her advice to me was, "smile." I thought at the time this was so simple and somewhat silly advice when I have so many others things I am worrying about. This was the best wisdom. Who can look at a smile and have a bad attitude?

    ReplyDelete