Friday, June 14, 2013

Praxis - Fluency in First Grade


Can small group instruction improve the fluency of my first grade students?

According to research found in the article, The Role of the Teacher in Effective Fluency Instruction, fluency is a key component of effective literacy instruction.  Fluency is the ability to decode and comprehend text at the same time.  This research is what led me to implement an action research project in my classroom.  This project involved first grade students who were not yet fluent readers.  I found this project to be extremely important after reading, Fluency Beyond the Primary Grades, which states that students who don’t read, don’t get better at reading and students who are not good at reading, don’t read.  I really want all my students to enjoy reading and be successful at it.  Therefore, I set out to support my first graders in becoming fluent in their reading before the year was complete.  I found this small group instruction to be extremely beneficial to my students and I look forward to beginning it sooner next school year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment