Thursday, June 27, 2013

Best Practices in Writing


After reading about the best practices in writing, I felt reassured about some of the things I was doing in my classroom and I also got some new ideas of things I could change around in the current curriculum. 
The article talked a lot about allowing kids to write about topics that interest them.  This is something I do in my writing center.  The kids can write and illustrate stories, draw and label pictures, create anything that appeals to them.  I have been amazed by the writing that comes out of this center!  The kids really embrace the chance to be creative and to teach the rest of us. 
The other also states “The best language learning occurs when students attempt actual communication and see how real listeners/readers react.  This statement hit home with me as I too feel this is extremely important.  I have a time after lunch on Friday’s where the kids can sign up to be a guest author.  It is such a good experience for all the kids whether they are reading or in the audience.  They get to practice reading to a crowd as well as practice being a good audience member/listener. 
There were also some great ideas that I can use to change up our current curriculum. The article mentioned writing across the curriculum.  I already am thinking about ways I can make our social studies and science units include writing where the students have more input.  I look forward to seeing how creative they can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment