Thursday, May 23, 2013

ABC Summarize - First Grade Style!


This week my first graders are learning all about Clifford.  They love these books as they are ones they can read aloud too!  To start off the unit, I wanted to something different and mix it up a little at the end of the year.  So we read a story and talked about how we were going to brainstorm all the things they knew about dogs – but we were going to do it using the alphabet!  So I gave them each a sheet with all the letters on it.  I then gave them some time to try and come up with as many words having to do with dogs as they could and then write them next to the correct letter.  After a chunk of time, I had them work with their table group to see if they could come up with any more.  We then went over it as a group and listed off a couple words for each letter.  Those that had empty spots could fill them in at that time.  It was so cool to hear all their ideas!  They came up with so many ideas and words that I had not even thought of!  It was a great way to show me what they are capable of – they exceeded my expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment