Thursday, May 9, 2013

New Instructional Strategy


In order to switch up how I am teaching curriculum in my classroom, I decide to try a new instructional strategy.  After reviewing Marzano’s High Yield Strategies, I decide to try the Nonlinguistic representations.  Right now I am teaching a unit on fairy tales and so was looking for a way to incorporate the strategy into teaching this unit.  Some of my old Kindergarten colleagues have started using anchor charts this year as a good visual reminder of the curriculum.  I had never really heard of anchor charts until this year so I have never used them in my class.  I decided this unit would be the time to try it.  So I created an anchor chart on fairy tales.  We have used it so much!  I never anticipated referring to it as much as I have and I never thought the kids would get out of it as much as they have.  They have been referring back to it and using it all week for classroom work as well as discussion.  I have found that by having it hanging on my whiteboard, it’s always there for them to look at and that has led to greater discussions.  It also allows for learning in a new way – great for those visual learners!  I think after this experience, I will be adding more anchor charts to my instruction!  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jen!
    I noticed you had posted about anchor charts and shortly after stumbled across this use of anchor charts on pinterest. Thought you might like it :)
    http://teachingmyfriends.blogspot.com/2012/08/interactive-small-group-anchor-charts.html
    Have a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie,
    Thanks for the site! I have been looking on interest for ideas now - there are so many out there. I will definitely check this one out!

    ReplyDelete