Thursday, May 23, 2013

Backwards Design Reflection




Creating a backwards design unit was a new experience for me.  At the start, I was very frustrated by the process but by the end, I found that I this process was a better way to plan and teach than simply putting pulling out a file and teaching it.  By doing it this way I felt like I had a much clearer picture of not only what I was teaching but also why I was teaching it. By creating Enduring Understandings and Essential Questions, I had a better idea of what I wanted the kids to learn and what questions to ask them.  This made much more sense to me and kept me on track with what the focus was.  Creating the assessments before teaching the lesson helped me to stay on track as well as helped me by giving me something to teach toward.  I knew what I wanted them to learn and to walk away from the unit understanding.  It helped guide my instruction as we went along too because I was able to see what they were understanding and what was still unclear to them.  It made me much more aware and concise in my teaching.  It impacted the students because if they were unsure about something, I knew about it right away and could adjust my teaching by either re-teaching or reviewing. 
Overall, I liked the experience of planning a unit using backwards design.  I felt much more prepared as well as knowledgeable about what I was doing.  It felt like the lessons flowed better and helped make more sense to the kids.  I also feel like the kids had a better experience because they truly came out of the unit with a good understanding of the topic.  I really feel like this is a better way to plan units.  It was also nice to have a visual layout to refer back to and I didn’t feel like I was scrambling to plan activities.  It felt more smooth and efficient.  This is definitely a tool I will use to plan future units.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen!

    I was also overwhelmed the first time I had to do a backwards design unit, but fortunately for me it was before I had to do one for grad school. I started a new job this year teaching Kindergarten and the district I work for uses UbD (Understanding by Design) units. Every month my grade-level team gets together to write a backwards design unit for something we are teaching. Usually it is a science or social studies lesson, but we just recently worked on a colors and shapes unit. After doing it several times this year the process is much easier for me. It is also nice doing it with a team. I agree that it is a much better way to plan out a unit! I hope writing backwards design units starts to come more naturally for you! Good luck with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kalin,
    That’s interesting that you all do that together. In our district we are just given what we are supposed to teach so it has been a challenge to create a unit using backwards design. I bet it would be a lot easier to work together to write an entire unit. Good to know that it does get easier:) Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete