Thursday, May 16, 2013

Instructional Strategies - Beachball




This week I decided to try a new instructional strategy to try and keep kids engaged at this point in the year.  I decided to use the Beachball strategy as a review for my fairy tale unit.  I pulled out a beachball and wrote some higher level thinking questions on it that had to do with all the different fairy tales we read.  I then had all the kids stand in a big circle and we tossed the ball back and forth to everyone in the circle – I did tell the kids that once they had the ball they couldn’t have it again – so that everyone would get a chance to answer a question.  Once they got the ball they had to read and answer the question that was facing them.  I feel like this lesson went really well.  The kids were all engaged and helped to make sure everyone got a turn.  I think it went well too because it was something different, something we had never done before.  I actually had kids ask when we could do it again!  It was also a good activity to hear everyone’s reading abilities and what their understanding of the unit and the various stories we read.  Overall, I think it was a good strategy and one I would adapt for other units.  

No comments:

Post a Comment