Saturday, October 5, 2013

Differentiation Activity


I do a lot of various differentiation activities for reading skills in my classroom.  But after reading some articles on differentiation, I have realized that I do not do enough in math.  So I decided to try something new.  I decided that on Fridays, I would try differentiated math centers.

I looked at what skills I was teaching and then where the kids were at on these skills.  I then used flexible grouping to group the kids according to where they needed more practice or where they needed some advanced tasks.  I pulled out activities and games to help either master a skill or extend the learning. 

I used the first 15 minutes of our math time to explain what we would be doing.  I also used that time to define expectations and to let them know that I would be going around to each group to observe and assist.  I then used the remaining 20 minutes for the students to work in their groups while I went around to each group and checked in, helped and asked questions.  

Overall, I feel this went pretty well.  It was the first time, so it was a little rough going.  I had kids getting up and coming over to me instead of raising hands and waiting for me to come to them.  Although this is expected the first time, especially with 1st graders, I think with time and practice, this will get better.  I do think the idea is good though.  I think the kids benefit from getting a little extra support or some advanced learning.  I plan on trying it again next Friday and look forward to seeing gains. 


1 comment:

  1. Jen,
    I definitely agree that setting those expectations and practicing them will help! I don't mean to sound "preachy" but do you have some visuals that you could post that might help them remember the expectations? Or maybe asking them what expectations THEY feel are needed to help it go smoothly? I give you a LOT of credit as I can only imagine that your little first graders (still technically kinders..this early in the year) are very independent! I'm anxious to see how tomorrow goes!

    ReplyDelete